Sunday, August 16, 2009

Building dragons

I had an idea in my vacation period. It was called in my mind: "The dragon project". That blogname was taken, so it has become "building dragons"


I wanted to 'ride in' on a mechanical dragon at the next Elf Fantasy Fair (haarzuilens).






Because I'm not very good at building stuff, construction has to be simple
(I'll try to get my father to help me, he has tools and a shed an is very handy and creative).
I can't wait to get home and do some research (NO INTERNET HERE!!), but the basic Idea is there.
It was inspired by looking at a lot of examples, of people making variations of Theo Jansen's animaris vulgaris (or walking mechanism) in the past. One guy made a model out of plywood that worked. He used plates to suggest muscles. In my head I combined it with a paper-kinetic horse I once saw, it had a carriage, you could stand on, if you were made out of lego.. I just full-scaled that model to begin with. Later I got the idea for a dragon-bicycle, but it will be to hard to build for me..

So my wish is:


  • Ride on a dragon into the next Fantasy Fair at Castle the Haar.
  • If that doesn't work, guide a cool, full-sized dragon into the castle
  • If that doesn't work, maybe a baby-dragon is feasable?

We'll see what I'll be able to create..

Here is my inspiration for the project:

(The giants who's shoulders I'm willing to fall of:)



  1. Paper Kinetic Horse



  2. Theo Jansen




  3. Theo Jansen Leg, prototype #9 (ten sixtynine-rik)



No comments:

Post a Comment