Friday, November 6, 2009

the horns and teeth



The latex paint was a spectaculair failure, it doesn't smooth out the structure, it seems to amplify it. But I finally produced a result for teeth and horns that I like.
I used a base of PUR, in which I cut out a shape with an ordinary kitchen-knife. Then I used red paint and a layer of yellow, black and (white) smooth-area filler. This gave a dark gray brownish surface, but with organic color-nuances.
After this dried, I could sand it and it covered almost all cracks.
Then, I put another layer of filler on, applied some yellow and white paint to the still wet surface. This I smoothed out with my fingers. After this dried, I put on some email-off-white (not quite ivory, but egg-white) paint. I took it off again with some toilet paper. Then I fingerpainted with yellow and black on the tip, because I remembered cows-horns are darker at the tip. I also took that of with toilet paper.
All in all, its smooth and has a defenite hard, rock like look. When I varnish and polish it, I excpect it will look like a horn.

The beauty of this process is: it fits right in where it should on the dragon's head. (on which, as you can see, I have been experimenting with the texture.I took most of it from the sketch I made earlier.

The model leaves spots for four horns on the dragon. (originally it was six, but I cut down on horns in favour of an ear)..
So all I have to do is make 5 more. But I'll wait with that until I have the final model, which I probably cannot make, until I know the exact scale.
To get the scale I really need to start work on the legs again. But this was just so much fun. And the legs are technicall..

No comments:

Post a Comment